Sunday, November 22, 2009

B's week of ups and downs

Our week started off as usual; on Monday we were all up at 6am with no problems from anyone. Wednesday our alarm didn’t go off and we woke up at 8:30. I got B to school by 9 and SE shortly after. Around 11am I got a call from B’s teacher he had been and fight and was being dismissed from school for the day. I drove there with my heart in my throat, praying this wouldn’t be our final day there. When I arrived he and his teacher were waiting for me in the lobby. He sat on the opposite side of the lobby from us and would not come to us when we asked. He looked miserable. His teacher showed me the incident report and went over it with me. B and a friend had been innocently playing tag when B put him in a choke-hold, threw him to the ground and punched him in the eye. B then proceeded to call him an expletive and give him a very vulgar directive; he had to be pulled off the child by two other students. I can assure you this not typical behavior for my son. I was shocked and mortified to say the least. I was told he would be able to return to school the following day and was greatly relieved by this news. Now I had to figure out what had caused the problem. I had immediately put in a call to the psychiatrist as soon as I heard there had been a fight he called as we were getting in the car to leave school. He called as we were getting in the car; he prescribed we up the dosage of the new medication 20mg. I trust him so that’s what I did. In the car B was crying, he was embarrassed, ashamed and remorseful. He thought everyone at the school was going to hate him and he was afraid I was going to send him back to the hospital for hurting someone. After arriving home it took me a long while to calm him and allay his fears. I explained that sometimes saying “sorry” wasn’t enough you have to prove it with your actions. I told him that the child might not forgive him right away and that was okay, he would eventually. I also explained that no one at the school hated him or was mad at him they were just worried about him. He eventually calmed down enough to do the work he was assigned and then we wrote a letter of apology to the child. The next day he returned to school and was welcomed with open arms by everyone. I had to go to the classroom to give them extra medication due to the change in dosage and everything seemed in sync. The grandmother of the child is the teacher’s assistant and profusely apologized to her for the incident. She was very gracious and said she understood. I have tried contacting the parents, but they haven’t returned my calls.


The rest of the week was pleasant. He had a great pragmatics class where he made a frozen dessert for Thanksgiving which we’ll be carrying to my mother’s. He was very proud of that and can’t wait to share something he made with our family. OT was great as well we received a great report from the therapist. On Thursday he had talk therapy which he happily complied with. Thursday night he and I talked about prayer, he prays every night. I asked him if he would like me to share with him how I pray. I told him he is always in my prayers; that he and SE are the most important things in the world to their father and me. He said he didn’t know this. His lack of self-esteem is amazing to me sometimes. We just have to be vigilant in affirming our love for him and pride in him. Friday came and went. Saturday he wanted a friend over. We called a few and finally one called us back. He ended up coming over for a couple hours in the afternoon and my husband took them to dinner. B has been invited to his house this afternoon. I’m so pleased for him! He’s so excited he’s been up since 6am waiting. I pray all goes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment