Thursday, November 5, 2009

An interesting meeting

Yesterday B. had TEFRA or medicaid mandated doctor's appointment with a developmental pediatrician. I was not looking forward to it. We already have a great team in place and went in expecting the worst. I was pleasantly surprised.

In addition to working at the center where we saw him he also works at Dennis Devlopmental where B was diagnosed with Asperger's and where I'm currently trying to get SE an appointment.  He asked for a synopsis of B's condition which I gave. At one point I said B was a "slow worker" he quickly corrected me using the word methodical. He said he'd much rather have a methodical judge if he were ever tried for something. He'd much rather have a methodical accountant do his taxes. All in all he was saying methodical was not a bad thing. I totally agree. We also discussed bipolar and o.d.d. He felt that bipolar was not a diagnosis to be given to children. I explained that the medications SE takes were general medications given to bipolar patients and they worked wonders for her. He then went on to explain about medications for mental health and just how much knowledge we lack about how they actually work. He said we are about 50 years behind in this realm. There is always more to be learned and researched. As far as o.d.d. was concerned he said he never gave a child that diagnosis because in his mind there was no hope for it to helped or cured so why would you straddle a patient with something like that.

I will have to have another meeting with him for SE as mandated by medicaid. I look forward to it. He was very gracious with his time, and I came away enlightened. He was also very sensitive to B. At one point B began to tear up, and he called him over for a hug and reassured him things were fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment