Sunday, November 22, 2009

SE's week of ups and downs

Our week was off to a great start. We awoke before 6:30 on Monday and Tuesday. SE had her speech/language evaluation at B’s school on Tuesday. The therapist bragged on what a bright and charming girl she was. When I picked her up I was given a parent form to fill out. This makes me hopeful for some reason that she will qualify for therapy. I’ve tried to speak with the therapist regarding the application several times this week, but have yet to speak with her. I took her back to school and things were fine.


Wednesday, we overslept and she didn’t get to school until 9:45. Despite the extra sleep she was still angry and combative. After school she didn’t want to go to tennis. She complained of being tired and said the kids at school had been mean. I explained that I would prefer she go to tennis since I pay dearly for it, but I would let her miss once.

Thursday, she was still angry and combative in the morning. When I picked her up from school she was visibly upset. She handed me her interim report all her grades were A’s and B’s with a “C” in conduct. The “C” was what had her in a tizzy. I asked her why she had the “C” and she said it was partly due to the in-school suspension from last week and that when other children were being mean to her and she told her teacher the teacher gave HER the conduct mark. For SE nothing is ever her fault. The blame always lies elsewhere, but to see her so sad just broke my heart. After I had spoken with the therapist about both the children like I do each week I was sitting in the waiting room with her. I couldn’t hold it in any longer, I began to cry. She was distressed even more by this and asked why I was crying. I explained to her I was crying because I loved her very much and it hurt me to see her in such pain and not be able to help. I explained that I couldn’t be responsible for her happiness, that was something she had to do, but I would do anything in my power to help her if she would only let me. She seemed to be receptive to this and had a good session with her therapist. Later that night we talked some more and I asked her about learning how to pray as well. She said she would like to know how I approached it and I shared with her. My faith and prayer are integral part of my life. It’s not for everyone I know and that’s perfectly fine, but it’s what gets me through the day.

Friday, was an okay day for SE. I had sent an email to her teacher the night before trying to get a grasp on the situation at school. The email I received shocked me to say the least. I knew her behaviors at home were worsening, but had no idea as to the extent they were at school. She explained that SE had attempted to forge my name three times at school, not two like I thought. She constantly sits on top of her desk and refuses to get down when asked which results in a conduct mark. She will be given a directive and may or may not do it. When other children try and engage her in play she snaps at them. I asked why none of this has been brought to my attention and have yet to receive a reply. I’m in contact with someone from the developmental studies center where B was diagnosed and I am hoping to get her in soon.

Saturday, she and I spent a lovely afternoon together at a local bookstore. We both love to read. Afterward I took her to her favorite restaurant for dinner and dessert. We enjoyed the time spent together.

No comments:

Post a Comment