Wednesday, November 4, 2009

A Definitive Diagnosis

Summer came and it was time to meet the doctors and clinicians at the developmental studies center. He saw a developmental pediatrician, a pediatric psychologist and host of other professionals. After a day under the microscope we heard a new, but definitive diagnosis. It was Asperger’s. I knew this in my heart for a long time, but hearing directly was another matter. The professionals at the center explained that it is very common for children with Asperger’s to be misdiagnosed as bipolar or as oppositional defiant considering the rigidity of their personalities. Unlike the haymakers I received upon hearing other diagnoses, I was somehow relieved when I heard he had Asperger’s. I finally knew what was going on – not what was wrong, that’s not the right way to put it – it was more about learning a piece of what made my son who he is, warts and all. I got my son back. I received the gift of my smart, funny, quirky, kind and loving boy who I always knew was capable of great things, but all of a sudden I had the right tools to help him succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment